Monday, June 1, 2009

2009. Heathcote Quarry Park to Morgans Valley, Port Hills

I wanted to walk from Heathcote Quarry Park to Morgans Valley, so I parked my car on Bridle Path Road near Heathcote Valley Riding School, and climbed steep wooden steps in Heathcote Quarry Park, which zigzagged up the track to Heathcote Quarry Site.


2009. Heathcote Quarry view of Lower Heathcote Valley, Canterbury Plains & Southern Alps


2009. Morgans Valley Track by Heathcote Quarry, Port Hills, Christchurch


2009. Morgans Valley Track view of Morgans Valley. Mount Cavendish backdrop, Port Hills

A hailstorm the previous day had muddied Heathcote Quarry Park tracks, making them slippery. At Heathcote Quarry I sat on the wooden Ferrymead bench, and snapped Heathcote Valley, Christchurch CBD and snowy Southern Alps beyond. At the end of Heathcote Quarry, a wooden sign stated:

MORGANS VALLEY TRACK TO
BRIDLE PATH 40 MINS


2009. Morgans Valley Track view of Bluffs below Saint Andrews Hill, Port Hills. Rocky bluffs above Morgans Valley were rockfall hazards during the 2010-2011 quakes



2009. Morgans Valley Track view across Heathcote Valley, towards Horotane Valley & Avoca Valley, Port Hills

Beside Morgans Valley Track, which went roughly parallel to Bridle Path Road, Heathcote Valley bluffs loomed on my left, while houses sloped down to Bridle Path Road on my right. I walked beside a pine shelterbelt which protected Aromaunga Flowers nursery greenhouses. By a muddy patch, I passed through a wooden gate, which had a NO BIKES sign attached.


2009. Morgans Valley Track view over Lower Heathcote Valley & Christchurch towards Southern Alps


2009. Morgans Valley Track view over Lower Heathcote Valley, Heathcote Estuary & Christchurch CBD, towards Canterbury Plains & Southern Alps

Above Morgans Valley Track, I saw bluffs above higher Major Hornbrook Road Track and its wooden staircase climbing a bluff towards Kenton Track and housing on Mount Pleasant. I zigzagged up muddy Morgans Valley Track, and snapped Heathcote Valley and snowy Alps above the pines.


2009. Morgans Valley Track view of Mount Pleasant Bluffs & Gullies, Port Hills. Rocky bluffs above Morgans Valley were rockfall hazards during the 2010-2011 quakes


2009. Morgans Valley Track view of Morgans Valley, Mount Cavendish & Castle Rock, Port Hills

I looked up at Mount Pleasant's broken rocks, gullies, bluffs and caves looming above Morgans Valley. Mount Cavendish, with its Gondola stations above and below, loomed at the head of Morgans Valley. On my right, Castle Rock loomed above Heathcote Valley.


2009. Morgans Valley view of Heathcote Valley, Christchurch CBD, Canterbury Plains & Southern Alps


2009. Morgans Valley, Heathcote Valley, Horotane Valley & Avoca Valley, Port Hills, Christchurch


2009. Morgans Valley view of Castle Rock, Port Hills, Christchurch

Two pylons, one on top of Mount Pleasant and one below in Morgans Valley, stitched electric cables towards Heathcote Valley. I stood below the cables and watched southerly gusts sway heavy cables, pushing them a bit, before gravity pulled them back. Cold southerly gusts pushed me too, so I didn't continue towards Bridle Path beyond Morgans Valley, but watched three joggers on a higher track below valley bluffs.


2009. Morgans Valley View of Mount Cavendish, Port Hills, Christchurch


2009. Morgans Valley view of Lower Heathcote Valley, Christchurch CBD, Canterbury Plains & Southern Alps

Below Mount Pleasant Vodafone transmitter, I descended into Morgans Valley, the steep farm track so muddy I slipped on my knees. I watched three adult walkers and their two dogs pass through a paddock gate below, and join new roads in Morgans Valley.

I passed a round water trough, went through two farm gates, passed new houses, and crossed a new road to a new park, where a man threw a rugby ball to his son, while their Labrador greeted me.


2009. Morgans Valley Park with Castle Rock backdrop, Port Hills, Christchurch

I returned to my car down Morgans Valley Road and Bridle Path Road, where walkers and cyclists enjoyed Queens Birthday too. The loop walk took me 1 hour 10 minutes.

Content & pics Copyright Mark JS Esslemont.

1 comment:

Mark JS Esslemont said...

A Canterbury University Phd student emailed me about conversational Zulu in Christchurch